2.09.2010

earthquakes etc.

This time of year is the dry season, when everything dries out, the kids go back to school, and the trees drop their leaves.

When someone first told me this, I was in disbelief! What? deciduous trees only drop their leaves to conserve energy in the winter, not when the sun is bright and it's hot out. Common, thats what I learned all through school. Except somehow they never mentioned that in warm climates, deciduous trees still drop their leaves but they do it so they can put all their power into producing flowers, then fruit so it can drop by the rainy season.

So. right now, the trees are blooming. little orangish buds have been popping up everywhere, warming the landscape from a greenish brown to a swath of color from perfumey whites to deep reds and oranges.

Apparently I missed my first earthquake! Today they asked if I had felt it when i was walking back to the apartment with one of the dogs, and well, i remember looking at the pool and thinking it was weird that the jets were still on, but i suppose it was the earthquake instead. I had no idea. Apparently it shook twice. two little shimmies. DAMN. Whatever. Maybe there will be one i notice. I'm going to blame it on the fact that I was walking, and outside in the dark, so if there was a little tremble, i could have been in mid flight over the ground.
Anyway, today I saw my first real wildlife. I was sitting next to the pool, soaking up some rays writing in my journal when behind me this noise that sounded like someone was dragging rocks, or hoisting up a rusty pulley began. So I looked over, and there, coming down from what must have been a reptilian version of what I was doing, came a HUGE lizard. I mean at least two feet long including the tail. grey, with darker spots or stripes I couldn't really tell. She was pulling herself down the metal roof of this outdoor space in the corner of the yard, down towards the shade. I guess she was hot too. It was pretty amazing.

Later while riding, two little neon green birds, parakeets perhaps, went swooping down, playing tag, or fighting, or something. Then off into the distance they flew.

Most of the birds I've seen so far have been big, angry, and dark colors. There is a dove that hangs out around the house who coos in this voice that sounds like she tape recorded it, and is playing it back on a crappy recorder from under her wings. She has a white tail and is quite the curvaceous bird.

It's fun to see these animals I've never seen in the wild before. I'm sure they won't be the last either. 

Tonight I will fall asleep after watching the first season of 30 rock and dream of a Costa Rican version of bambi, staring the grey lizard as the skunk and the green birds and well, i'll have to dream up bambi and thumper. Maybe the dove can be thumper.... i'll have to wait and see what happens with that one.

-----i'm sending good thoughts and energy to Philadelphia to let the snow fall, and then melt away before monday. No flight delays.... help me with this. lots of sun and a touch of warmth. song birds can sing, and the snow can disappear from the roads. <3 -------

No comments:

Post a Comment